Whether you’re a seasoned professional or just entering the job market, these tips can help you beat the competition. Have a question about your upcoming interview? We’re here to help.
Before the Interview
- Take the time to reflect on your personal and professional goals, priorities, and objectives
- Will this position bring you closer to where you are heading?
- Can you tell your story in a brief but compelling way to highlight your skills, abilities, and experience?
Research the Company
- Your Fusion Career Advisor is a great source of information about the company and the position
- Visit the company website to read about their history, vision, business interests, executives, financial situation, and press releases
- Search the internet and news websites for information about the company
- Talk to your friends who may know about the company
- Compile a list of questions that you will ask at the interview
Prepare for the Interview
- Understand the position, the qualifications desired and company priorities for the next 1-2 years
- What makes you the right person for this job?
- Why do you want to join this firm?
- Anticipate the types of questions you will be asked at the interview and prepare your answers
- Be prepared to talk about your professional accomplishments and achievements and to discuss the impact they had on your organization
What to Bring
- Your resume, list of references, pad of paper and pen
- List of questions you’d like to ask
- Turn off your cell phone before entering the building
- Wear something both professional and comfortable
- Use a firm handshake
- Use the interviewer’s name
- Make eye contact
- Be confident
- Remember you are making an impression on everyone you meet at the employer’s workplace: in the parking lot, on the elevator, at the reception desk
- If you are interested in the position make sure the interviewers know this and sum up why you are the right person for this position
- Ask when you can expect to hear from the employer
- Thank the interviewers for their time, use the interviewer’s names and a firm handshake
After the Interview
- Follow up with your Fusion Career Advisor to give them feedback on your interview
- If the company or position is not right for you, be sure to discuss the reasons for this with your Advisor